Monday, January 16, 2012

Vanilla Chai Cupcakes



Vanilla chai. This flavor had never really appealed to my ears for the last few years. Actually, the flavor of vanilla chai just sounded..like a face scrunching, upper lip raising, eyebrows squinted type of flavor. Yes I thought the flavor vanilla chai would be that revolting to my taste buds. However, last month when trying the local Thai restaurant's food for the first time I decided to order a coffee flavored bubble tea (ever since my friend introduced me to their bubble tea I have been hooked but had never tried the food). As my heart sank when the server informed me that they no longer carry the coffee flavor, she suggested possibly trying the vanilla chai. As none of the other flavors sounded that appealing like arrowroot and mochi, I decided to just give it a try (honestly because their black tapioca balls in the bottom of the drink are completely delicious) and OH MY WORD! I ran into my roommate's room acting like a kid on Christmas morning telling her to try it because it was SO DELICIOUS! I never thought vanilla chai could taste so good. It reminds me of the part in the movie Julie & Julia when Julie eats her first egg. She thought it was going to be "slimy" yet was completely delicious.



Ever since that night, I have been completely hooked. I mean driving across town and spending almost $8 on a cold vanilla chai bubble tea when it's freezing outside (in the low 20's during the day) with snow on the ground just to have that amazing deliciousness in my life. And when I was looking for cupcakes to try for this year and I came across the vanilla chai cupcake by accident, I couldn't resist. I mean turning an amazingly spiced drink into a cupcake? My dream come true (since I like to find a cupcake recipe for EVERYTHING. It's kind of a problem at times. Like when you have to get up early the next morning yet your wide awake searching through blogs at 2 am.) Anyways, this recipe is quick, and simple. I think after pre-making the spice mix, it only took about 10 minutes to put the batter together. They are light and fluffy, and the frosting! I could of gone with just the frosting and my life would be complete. However, I do think that frosting makes a cupcake. And according to a friend who went crazy for these cupcakes the other day, it's some of the best frosting (since apparently he is very frosting picky). The frosting (in my opinion) would be good as a cream cheese frosting too with the spices mixed in. So without further ado, vanilla chai cupcakes!

this recipe yields 12 cupcakes.
This recipe was adapted from Gimme Some Oven!

Vanilla Chai Cupcakes

Chai Spice Mix
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Cupcakes:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. chai spice mix
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar


Frosting: 
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
  • remainder of the chai spice mix
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.
  2. In a small bowl, mix together the cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Set aside.
  3. To make the cupcake batter, cream together the softened butter and sugar with an electric mixer or stand mixer. Add the vanilla extract, eggs, and chai spice mix and thoroughly beat until well combined.
  4. Add half of the flour to the batter and beat until just combined, making sure not to overbeat. Mix in the buttermilk completely then beat in the rest of the flour.
  5. Finally, mix in the baking soda and apple cider vinegar, just until combined, making sure not to over mix to make sure the cupcakes don't dome up.
  6. Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full and bake for 18-25 minutes (mine were done after 20). To check the cupcakes, insert a toothpick into the centers and make sure it comes out clean.
  7. Let cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes then finish cooling on a wire rack to prevent grease to form on the bottom of the liners until completely cool.


To make the frosting:

Beat the softened butter until almost creamed then beat in the rest of the spice mix and vanilla. After thoroughly combined, slowly add in the powdered sugar, constantly beating, until completely combined (you might need a little less powdered sugar depending on the consistency of the frosting)
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! They sure were, I could of sat there with just the frosting and some graham crackers!

      Delete