Saturday, March 17, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes


Who doesn't love chocolate chip cookie dough? (Okay I can name a few) but when I found this recipe, I couldn't resist. I have always been a secret cookie dough fanatic. I would constantly sneak a spoonful of dough into my mouth. So for any cookie dough fanatic, these cupcakes would be a perfect little treat!

Anyways, I chose to make these little gems this past week because I have been constantly questioned on when I'm going to make them (along with the Tiramisu, but those are coming next week) so I finally caved and started on my journey.

See I have started a notebook with a list of cupcakes I want to make. Pinterest isn't helping this list get any shorter either, so many great recipes all in one place. Ok back to the notebook. It usually is sitting out in the open and people lately have been looking through it saying "wow make those" and the cookie dough cupcakes have probably gotten the most votes of which cupcakes I should make next.

The recipe I adapted these from I originally found of Bakeat 350 (which has the recipe I used for the brown sugar frosting) and the cupcake recipe can be found here.


If you make these cupcakes however, I would recommend doubling the recipe. It usually takes me a couple days for all the cupcakes I baked to be consumed (I post on Facebook that I have cupcakes and friends come enjoy them, like taste testers) but these cupcakes disappeared in less than 12 hours. It was crazy. I was even getting texts the next day asking if I had more.

My main concern was that they weren't going to taste like cookie dough (since most things turned into a cupcake don't taste exactly like the same) however, these do! I think it's the cookie dough filling that makes the cupcakes. It's a cookie dough that is safe to eat without cooking, thanks to no eggs!

The components of the cupcakes are.. ok by themselves. But when the cupcakes are filled with the cookie dough filling and topped with the brown sugar frosting (which by the way is AMAZING, possibly putting it on oatmeal cookie cupcakes in the next few weeks) they are perfection. I think these may be my favorite cupcake I have made so far.

But without further ado (every time I say that I feel like I'm giving a fancy shmancy speech) here is the cupcake recipe!


Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
makes 16 cupcakes
  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 tbsp molasses
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together oil, sugar and molasses. Add eggs, 1 at a time, fully beating after each. Add vanilla.

In a separate bowl mix together baking powder, baking soda, flour, and salt.

Add half of the dry ingredients and fully mix into the sugar mixture, then add half of the milk and fully mix. Repeat.

Fold in the mini chocolate chips then divide into baking cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until tops are browned and a toothpick comes out clean.

Let the cupcakes cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack and let fully cool.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Filling
  • 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tbsp molasses
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp flour
  • 7.5 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/8 cup mini chocolate chips

In a medium bowl cream together the butter, sugar, and molasses.

Mix in the flour, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.

Stir in the chocolate chips. This filling will be extremely thick but softens up after going into the cupcakes.

Brown Sugar Buttercream
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter
  • 6 tbsp + 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • dash of salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp milk
  • 1 1/4 tsp vanilla

Cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add the salt, milk, and vanilla. Beat in the powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time until fully combined and smooth. Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. Nice photos! I like the one on the blue Fiestaware plate the best, especially 'cause you can see the filling.

    ReplyDelete