Thursday, March 8, 2012

Peanut Butter, Banana, and Honey Cupcakes

I grew up on peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Yes I had other things for lunch that were good, but I always remember the peanut butter and honey sandwiches that my dad would make.

Those and cheese sandwiches (lots of mayo on the bread and slices of cheddar cheese, still one of my favorites). But I never could (and still can't, unfortunately) make them anything like my dad could (the peanut butter and honey sandwiches that is.)

Always the perfect amount of peanut butter to honey ratio. And if you would let it sit for a while, the honey would soak into the bread and crisp up a bit. Delicious.

When I was searching through recipes for honey cupcakes with honey buttercream, I saw a recipe with peanut butter frosting.

All I could think of was peanut butter and honey sandwiches.

And I had to turn it into a cupcake.

However, my first attempt turned out like complete crap. I tried to make peanut butter cupcakes and they didn’t rise, at ALL. I was so disappointed. Especially since when people started finding out on Facebook I was making peanut butter and honey cupcakes, they got just as excited as I was.

Then I saw a recipe for peanut butter and banana cupcakes.

I had never had the flavor combination before, but I knew it was a popular one. And, well, I got a good reaction to the idea, so I thought why not give it a go. And let me tell you. They were amazing! The perfect flavor combination. So simple, yet so amazing together. Mouthwatering.

I think I’m going to have to try the sandwich form soon.

If I make these cupcakes again however, I would add another banana (I was told by one of my taste testers that she would like a little more banana) however, I’m going to post the recipe that I used.

I was also told by a few that the honey buttercream was a little too sweet for their taste (I however thought it was perfect) but if you don’t like a sweeter frosting, use less honey.

The blog I adapted the recipe from has disappeared (I was extremely confused) and the buttercream recipe I used was found here.

I hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as I did! When I made the frosting it was only enough for 12 cupcakes so I haven't made the second batch quite yet, but the pictures will be posted later today. 

Peanut Butter and Banana Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½ cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon molasses
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine bananas, peanut butter, and vanilla in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.

Beat eggs, sugar, and molasses with a stand mixer, or electric hand mixer, until well combined. Beat in the vegetable oil.

Next, pour the peanut butter and banana mixture into the sugar mixture and beat the mixture until creamy.

Add in the baking powder, salt, half of the flour, and half of the milk, combine. Add in the rest of the flour and milk and fully combine.

Scoop the batter into cupcake liners and fill each ¾ of the way full.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack and let fully cool before frosting.

Honey Buttercream
  • 3 sticks butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 5 cups powdered sugar

Cream the butter with an electric mixer then add in the honey and beat well. Beat in the powdered sugar, about ½ a cup at a time, making sure all is evenly combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment