Sunday, March 25, 2012

Green Beer Cupcakes


The first time I heard the words Green beer was a couple years ago while watching the Real World. Yes, I admit it, I watch The Real World. It's one of those shows that I don't tell people I watch, kind of a guilty pleasure. Anyways, it was St. Patricks Day and the guy had said something about how all of his friends back home would drink green beer all day, starting at 5 a.m.

When I was thinking a month or two ago about what St. Patricks Day cupcakes I wanted to make, all I kept finding was green velvet cupcakes or Irish car bomb cupcakes. So the wheels in my head started turning and I thought back to that episode of Real World and decided I was going to make a green beer cupcake for the green holiday.

I wanted the cupcake to taste like beer but keep its bright green color, which a stout beer couldn't do. So instead I used Blue Moon since it's a Belgian white beer, which I also used for the buttercream, which oh my word, I could of sworn I was in heaven.

Definitely tastes like beer but with a little sweetness to it. I think if I make this frosting again I'm going to add a tablespoon of flour (I know that sounds kind of odd in the frosting) but it's supposed to help bind it together more and the frosting is on the softer side.

I adapted Bakerella's Green Velvet Cupcakes to green beer cupcakes and I adapted the buttercream recipe from here


Green Beer Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup beer
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 bottle liquid green food coloring

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Mix liquid ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl, and add wet ingredients, whisk together. 

Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full and bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. 

Let sit in the pan for 10 minutes then remove cupcakes and let fully cool on a cooling rack. 

Beer Buttercream

1 stick butter
3-5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup beer

Cream the butter and slowly start adding in the powdered sugar. Pour in the beer and fully fix then continue to add powdered sugar until light and fluffy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment