Thursday, February 16, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes


Since Tuesday was Valentine's day, or St. Valentine's day, I decided to make some red velvet cupcakes. Ok, more then some. 5 dozen to be exact, and that's if you don't count the first batch where I accidentally forgot the eggs, which help leaven the cake. Rookie mistake. Whoops! 

Anyways, I justified making so many however because 3 dozen of them were minis (as you can probably see from the picture). 

When I was trying to think of the perfect valentine's day cupcake, red velvet was the first thing to come to mind. I mean honestly. It truly is the perfect Valentine's day cupcake, at least in my eyes. And since this year I was my own valentine, I didn't want to feel guilty for diverging myself in a sea of cupcakes (hence the minis, I don't feel so guilty for eating them, and using all of my weight watchers points). 

But while on the topic of valentine's day, I just want to go into some quick history, since everyone seems to believe valentine's day is just a made up holiday by hallmark just to suck more money out of our pockets. 

Well people, your wrong. 

Believe me, I thought the same. Until, I did a little research valentine's day eve wanting to know about all of the hustle and bustle over this one day. And let me tell you what I found out. 

It's a real holiday! For all of you non believers, look here. 

Apparently St. Valentine's Day was originally a catholic holiday. St. Valentine had fallen in love with his capture's daughter, who went to see him every day in his cell. When he was sentenced to execution, he wrote here a love letter signed your valentine. 

Believe me now? Ok enough with the history lesson, back to the cupcakes. 

I still don't fully understand the hype over red velvet cupcakes. They are vanilla cupcakes with a hint of chocolate heavily dyed with food coloring. At least now a days. 

Ok maybe just one more quick fact. 

Red velvet started at the waldorf hotel when chocolate was being rationed for the war. To help give the cake moisture and color, they used boiled beets, which is what turned the cake red. It wasn't originally made with tons of red dye like it is now. However, these ones are pretty dang good if I do say so myself.

The traditional frosting to sit atop red velvet cake is a cream cheese frosting, and honestly makes the cupcake (I know I've been making a TON of cream cheese frosting lately, I just didn't see a way to get away with not using cream cheese frosting for these cupcakes).

Ok so I know putting distilled white vinegar in cupcakes might seem odd to some of you. 

However, the reaction between the vinegar and buttermilk helps the cupcakes have such a bright red color. The buttermilk also helps give the cupcakes moisture, just like sour cream would in a cake.

Red Velvet Cupcakes
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons red food coloring
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, or bowl with an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar, then add the egg, making sure to fully beat in.

In a seperate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, red food coloring, and vanilla until no lumps remain. Add cocoa mixture to butter mixture and fully combine, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl so all of the red food coloring is evenly distributed.

Add in half of the buttermilk, fully mix, then add half of the flour, and fully mix. Repeat until all of the buttermilk and all of the flour is added to the batter.

Finally, add in the salt, baking soda, and distilled white vinegar and combine.

Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way and bake for 15-20 minutes (even if you make minis, bake for the same amount of time) until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack until room temperature.

Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1 stick butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 block cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Cream the butter and cream cheese together with an electric mixer. Add in the vanilla and fully combine. Add in the powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time. Mix until frosting is light and fluffy, yet able to be piped on to the cupcakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment